Elmore's Career-High Completes @HerdMBB Comeback Against UT-Martin
Jon Elmore, C.J. Burks and Ajdin Penava combined to score 81 points
Box Score (PDF)
Dan D'Antoni Press Conference
Players' Press Conference
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. — Junior guard Jon Elmore set a new career-high with 38 points to a Marshall comeback past UT-Martin in overtime, 102-91, Friday evening at the Cam Henderson Center.
Elmore added eight assists, two rebounds and two steals for the Herd. Junior guard C.J. Burks had 23 points, four rebounds and three assists. Junior forward Ajdin Penava recorded his third career double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Dominique Williams led UT-Martin with 25 points and Matthew Butler added 20 for the Skyhawks.
The first half opened as a back-and-forth contest, with neither team having more than a four-point lead in the first 12 minutes of the game. The Skyhawks used a 7-0 run in the middle of the first half to take a 29-22 lead. A layup by Burks cut UT-Martin’s lead to 40-31 in the late stages of the half, but the Skyhawks closed the half on a 6-0 run to take a 46-31 lead into the break.
The Herd opened the second half on a 9-0 run in the first two minutes, cutting what was a 15-point UT-Martin lead to six points, 46-40. Burks hit a 3-pointer nearly five minutes into the second half to cut the Skyhawks’ lead to two points, 50-48, but Tennessee at Martin responded with consecutive baskets to push its lead back to six points.
A Burks’ jumper with 8:23 remaining tied the contest for the first time since the middle of the first half and a Penava free throw put the Herd ahead for the first time since a 17-15 lead early in the first half. A 3-pointer by Butler put UT-Martin back in front in the late stages of the contest, but consecutive 3-pointers by freshman guard Jarrod West and Penava tied the contest at 78 with 1:16 left. Elmore converted a three-point play to put the Herd ahead, 81-78. A pair of Elmore free throws gave Marshall an 83-80 lead, but Williams hit a 3-pointer as time expired for UT Martin to send the game to overtime.
The Herd won the tip to begin overtime and an Elmore layup four seconds into the extra period sparked a 9-0 Marshall run, putting the Herd ahead, 92-83. 3-pointers by Burks and West put the Herd over 100 points for the eighth time under head coach Dan D’Antoni. Marshall outscored UT Martin, 19-8, in the overtime period to close out a 102-91 win.
- This was the second meeting between Marshall and UT-Martin. Marshall improved to 2-0 vs. the Skyhawks, as the Herd won the first contest 92-84 on Dec. 9, 1994.
- With 101 points, Marshall has now scored 100+ points in consecutive games at the Henderson Center.
- Jarrod West was the first true freshman to start for the Herd since Ajdin Penava against Eastern Illinois in 2015. West scored 10 points, shooting 3-11 with five assists.
- Jon Elmore scored a career-high 38 points (previous 35 vs. Toledo in 2016). Elmore also led the team in free-throws (13-14) and assists (eight).
- Ajdin Penava scored 20 points (tying career-high) with 10 rebounds, earning his third career double-double.
- Four of Marshall’s five starters scored 10+ points (Elmore, West, Burks and Penava).
- Elmore, Burks and Penava combined for 81 of Marshall’s 101 total points.
- Before tonight’s game, Marshall was 10-39 under D’Antoni when trailing at the half. UT-Martin had a 46-31 lead over the Herd at halftime.
- Marshall began the second half with a 9-0 scoring run, and outscored the Skyhawks 17-4 in the first five minutes of the half.
- Marshall scored the most points against a Division I opponent in a season opener in program history.
- Jon Elmore surpassed Dan D’Antoni, Austin Loop, Jule Rivland and Gene James on the Marshall all-time career scoring list. Elmore currently sits at No. 40 on the list with 1,110 points.
- With Jon Elmore’s first 3-pointer of the game, Marshall extended its streak of consecutive games with a made 3-pointer to 844, the 12th-longest in Division I men’s basketball.
- Jon Elmore tied Dago Pena for No. 11 on the career list from behind the arc with his three 3-pointers. He needs eight more to crack the top-10.
- With his 23 points, C.J. Burks has now scored 20+ points for the fourth time in his career.
- Milan Mijovic set career-highs with eight rebounds and 3 assists.
- With his 25 points, Jon Elmore has now gone 36 consecutive games with double digits scoring.
- Marshall is 5-2 in overtime under D’Antoni.
The Herd is back in action Monday when it takes on Southern at the Cam Henderson Center. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
For all the latest information about Marshall men's basketball, follow @HerdMBB on Twitter.