Marshall Men's Basketball Cruises to Comfortable 84-73 Victory Over Southern
Dan D'Antoni earned his 50th career win
HUNTINGTON W.Va. - Marshall men's basketball head coach Dan D'Antoni earned his 50th career win in a comfortable 83-74 victory over Southern on Monday, Nov. 13, at the Cam Henderson Center.
With the win, Marshall improved to 2-0, while Southern fell to 0-2.
The scoring effort was led by junior guards Jon Elmore, who scored 20 points, and C.J. Burks, who scored 19 and added six rebounds and five assists. Elmore shot 5-of-11 from the field and 10-of-11 from the line, while Burks shot 8-of-13 from the field, 3-of-5 beyond the arch.
After only scoring a combined four points against Tennessee at Martin, Marshall's bench combined to score 24 of the Herd's 83 points tonight. Marshall's bench scoring was led by sophomore forward Phil Bledsoe, who scored 7, shooting 3-of-7 from the field and 1-of-2 from beyond the arc.
Marshall's defense also played a key role in the win, as it scored 17 points off of 12 Southern turnovers, recovered 32 defensive rebounds and had eight blocks.
The Herd got off to a hot start in the first minute of the first half as junior Ajdin Penava and Burks hit consecutive three-pointers to give Marshall a quick 6-0 advantage. In the subsequent five minutes of play, the Herd forced four turnovers in Southern's first five possessions and jumped out to a 20-6 advantage. Marshall scored 17 points off of nine turnovers by Southern in the first half.
However, the Herd scoring slowed as it went on a 4:31 minute scoring drought, allowing Southern to score 10 unanswered points and cut Marshall's lead to four. Southern got within two points of the Herd in the first half after guard Eddie Reese hit a layup with 6:27 remaining, making the score 26-24 in favor of the Herd. Marshall went into the half with a 45-40 advantage.
In the second half, though, the Herd was more consistent, as it didn't allow Southern within five points for the final 15 minutes of the game. The half was led by Elmore and Penava. Elmore scored 16 of his 20 points in the second, while Penava had nine points, six rebounds, 3 blocks and a steal. After maintaining a double-digit lead for most of the final 10 minutes, Marshall went on to win by a final of 83-74. The Herd never trailed in the contest
The Thundering Herd will face its first test on the road when it travels to Morehead, Ky., to take on the Morehead State Eagles on Thursday, Nov. 16, at 7 p.m.
For all the latest information about Marshall men's basketball, follow @HerdMBB on Twitter and Instagram.
- Head coach Dan D'Antoni earned his 50th career win as head coach of the Herd.
- Tonight's meeting was the first between Marshall and Southern.
- The Herd improved to 4-0 against schools in the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) with tonight's win (1-0 vs. Alabama State, 2-0 vs. Jackson State and 1-0 vs. Southern)
- This is the second straight year the Herd has played a SWAC opponent. Marshall defeated Jackson State, 71-61, on Nov. 21, 2016.
- Marshall improved to 35-9 under D'Antoni when leading at the half.
- The Herd forced turnovers on each of Southern's first three possessions. Southern turned the ball over on five of its first six possessions.
- After forcing 22 turnovers in the season opener against UT Martin, the Herd forced 11 Southern turnovers. The Herd defense has forced 16.5 turnovers per game through two games this season.
- Christian Thieneman appeared in his first contest of the season, playing eight minutes
- Dani Koljanin scored his first points as a member of the Herd. The JUCO transfer finished with three points.
- After redshirting in 2016-17, Jannson Williams recorded his first points with the Herd. Williams finished with five.
- After making 11 3-pointers in the opener against UT Martin, the Herd made nine in the first half tonight.
- Jon Elmore extended his streak of double-figure scoring to 37 games. Elmore finished with 20.
- After scoring just four points in the first half, Jon Elmore had 16 in the second half.
- Ot Elmore tied his Herd career-high with six points.
- Ot Elmore scored off a Jon Elmore assist for the first Elmore-to-Elmore connection of their Herd careers.
- The Herd improved to 27-8 under D'Antoni when scoring at least 80 points.
- The Herd is 10-7 in the month of November under D'Antoni.
- Marshall won the points in the paint battle, 34-18.
- After getting just four bench points in the season opener against UT Martin, the Herd got scoring contributions from five players off the bench, who combined for 24 bench points.