Skip to main content Skip to footer

Bowling Green Defeats Marshall 44-28

Sept. 18, 2010

Final Stats

Final Stats (PDF)

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio---Bowling Green (1-2) defeated Marshall (0-3) 44-28 in non-conference football action at Doyt Perry Stadium Saturday night.

The Falcons scored on the opening drive of the game when Matt Schilz connected on a four-yard touchdown pass to Kamar Jordan. Bryan Wright's PAT was good for a 7-0 BG advantage. Bowling Green drove the ball to the Marshall 25 on their second possession, but Wright's 35-yard field goal attempt missed wide right, leaving the score at 7-0. On the last play of the first quarter, Brian Anderson attempted to throw a pass to Andre Booker. Booker fell down, as Dwayne Woods intercepted the ball. Woods returned it 78 yards for a touchdown and 14-0 Bowling Green lead. A Jovan Leacock interception on the ensuing Marshall possession was returned 44 yards to the MU 16. Schilz's one-yard touchdown run capped off four-play drive, putting the Falcons ahead 21-0. Booker got the Herd on the board when he rushed for his first career touchdown, a 68-yard scamper off right tackle midway through the second frame. Tyler

Warner's point after was good. Bowling Green scored again late in the second quarter. Schilz completed five consecutive passes as he brought the Falcons to the Marshall 2 where Jordan Hopgood rushed in for the touchdown out of the wildcat formation. Anderson and Dobson teamed up for four passes and 29 yards as the Thundering Herd moved the ball down to Bowling Green 6. With 6.8 seconds remaining in the opening frame Anderson found Antavius Wilson in the back of the endzone for a six-yard touchdown that capped off a 10-play, 60-yard drive that took only 54 seconds to complete. Bowling Green led 28-14 at halftime. Marshall received the second half kickoff and advanced the ball to the Bowling Green 25 before a Warner 42-yard field goal attempt was blocked. Mario Harvey recorded two sacks, helping the Herd stop the Falcons. After a Bowling Green punt, Marshall mounted a 10-play, 70-yard drive (taking exactly three minutes) that was capped off by a one-yard AJ Graham touchdown run. The teams exchanged possessions. A Delvin Johnson sack resulted in a Schilz fumble at his own one yard line. True freshman Jeremiah



Taylor recovered the ball to give MU the possession. On the very next play, Martin Ward rushed in for the touchdown. Warner's point after tied the game at 28. Bowling Green went back into the lead on the next possession when Wright made a 27-yard field for a 31-28 BG advantage. The Herd fumbled the ensuing kickoff, giving the Falcons the pigskin at the MU 32. The resulting drive saw the Falcons move the ball into the redzone, but an Aaron Pankratz pass was intercepted by true freshman Darryl Roberts. Bowling Green took advantage of a short Marshall punt, scoring on a Tyrone Pronty 31-yard touchdown catch from Pankratz (who took over for an injured Schilz). The point after was no good, leaving Bowling Green ahead 37-28. The Falcons increaded the lead to 44-28 when Jerry Gates returned

Anderson's third interception of the night 29 yards for a touchdown. Booker rushed for a career high 122 yards while Dobson caught a career high six passes for 51 yards. In addition to his sack total, Harvey made 12 tackles to lead Marshall. Vinny Curry made 11 tackles for the Herd. Bowling Green was led by Willie Geter who rushed for 100 yards. Schilz threw for 181 yards while Pankratz added 111 in relief. Cameron Truss led the Falcons with nine tackles.

Marshall is back in action Sept. 25 when the Herd host Ohio in the Battle for the Bell. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. and will be televised locally by WSAZ (Channel 3).