Sept. 22, 2012
Marshall Postgame Notes
Marshall 54, Rice 51
Sept. 22, 2012
- Marshall improved to 2-2 (1-0) on the season. Rice fell to 1-3 (0-1).
- Marshall leads the all-time series 3-1.
- Marshall improved to 1-8 all-time in the state of Texas.
- The announced attendance of 14,204 was the fewest to see Marshall play since Oct. 21, 2006 when 12,344 people at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala. saw Marshall beat UAB 31-24.
- It was the first overtime game by Marshall since its 34-37 win over East Carolina last season on Nov. 26.
- Holliday is 2-1 as head coach in overtime
- The 105 combined points were the most in Marshall regular season history. It beats the 101 combined points in the Herd's 101-0 win over Kentucky Wesleyan in 1916.
- Running back Kevin Grooms rushed for a career-high 103 yards.
- It was the first time two Marshall players rushed for over 100 yards since Nov. 21, 2009 against SMU. That game, Martin Ward had 25 carries for 136 yards and Terrell Edwards-Maye had 22 carries for 113 yards.
- Marshall had 334 yards rushing, the first time it went over 300 yards since Oct. 21, 2006 at UAB (46 carries for 317 yards).
- Running back Remi Watson made his first career start.
- Steward Butler's 57-yard touchdown run with 1:56 left in the first quarter was Marshall's longest touchdown rush of the season. Its previous long was eight yards by Steward Butler against Western Carolina. It is also the longest rush by a Marshall player since Travon Van's 69-yard touchdown run against Tulsa last season.
- Marshall's 79 yards on seven carries in the first quarter were 20 more than Marshall had on 22 carries last Saturday against Ohio.
- Marshall had two rushing TDs in the first half Saturday at Rice (Kevin Grooms 17; Steward Butler 57). The last time the Herd had two first-half rushing TDs was Oct. 15, 2011 against Rice at Edwards Stadium, scoring runs of 15 and 5 yards by QB A.J. Graham. It was the first time Marshall had two first-half rushing TDs in a road game under Coach Doc Holliday. The last time Marshall had two first-half ground scores was Sept. 26, 2009, at the Liberty Bowl, against Memphis - 2 and 69 yards by Darius Marshall.
- With 5:44 left in the half, right tackle Garrett Scott made his first appearance for the Herd since being injured early in the second quarter at West Virginia. Gage Niemeyer has started at the position in three straight games.
- Cornerback Derrick Thomas made the first collegiate start of his career (Penn State or Marshall).
- Tyler Williams' fourth-quarter punt of 66 yards tied Brian Dowler (1991) for the eighth longest punt in Marshall history.
- Three of William's five punts landed inside the Owl's 20-yard line.