Cincinnati Downs Marshall, 33-10

Oct. 3, 2008

Final Stats

HUNTINGTON - Cincinnati rushed for 203 yards and forced three turnovers en route to a 33-10 victory over the Thundering Herd Friday night at Joan C. Edwards Stadium.

The Bearcats scored 10 of their 33 points off turnovers and forced a safety. Cincinnati had the upper hand in special teams play for most of the contest and found itself in consistently better field position than Marshall.

Cincinnati quarterback Chazz Anderson was steady in his first career start, completing 16-of-26 passes for 158 yards. However, it was the Bearcats' ground attack that gave Marshall its biggest problems. Jacob Ramsey had 17 carries for 99 yards, Isaiah Pead had 11 carries for 59 yards and John Goebel had eight carries for 56 yards and a touchdown. Dominick Goodman had six catches for 51 yards and two scores.

The Marshall offense never seemed to get in sync. Freshman Mark Cann had an off night in the passing game, finishing just 17-of-36 for 178 yards and one touchdown. Cody Slate led the Herd receiving corps with seven receptions for 96 yards and a score. Chubb Small led Marshall on the ground with seven rushes for 62 yards.

Special teams play was the story of the first half. Cincinnati's Connor Barwin blocked a pair of Marshall's punts. His second came with 1:02 left in the first quarter and went through back of the end zone for a safety.

After the free kick, the Bearcats took just four plays to move 58 yards as Goebel scored from 21 yards out on a draw.

Later in the half, Cann was intercepted by Cedric Tolbert, who returned the ball 33 yards to the Herd 14. Anderson hit Goodman on a crossing route on second and 10 to put the Bearcats up 16-0.

Marshall finally got on the board with a career-long 50-yard field goal from junior Craig Ratanamorn, following an eight-play 42 yard drive. The kick made the score 16-3 as the two squads headed to halftime.



The 29,237 in attendance shot back to life in the third quarter when Cann connected with Slate deep down the middle for a 57-yard scoring strike to pull the Herd back within striking distance.

Cincinnati immediately countered with an eight-play 89 yard scoring march, capped by a second scoring hookup between Anderson and Goodman.

Cann was intercepted on the first play of the Herd's ensuing drive. Aaron Webster was responsible for the pick and returned the ball to the Marshall 21-yardline. The Herd defense was able to hold the Bearcats to negative yardage on the drive, but Jake Roger knocked through a 40-yard field goal to put Cincinnati up 26-10.

The Bearcats put the game on ice with a smash mouth 86-yard, 14-play drive that took 6:11 off of the clock. Cincinnati kept the ball on the ground for 12 of those plays and Anderson punched the ball in from one-yard out for the game's final score.