Skip to main content Skip to footer

UCF Slips Past Thundering Herd, 35-14

Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – In a game that featured a 68-minute lightning delay, UCF came out victorious against the Marshall University football team, 35-14, on Wednesday night in Conference USA action on a rain-soaked Joan C. Edwards Stadium.

Marshall (1-5, 0-2 C-USA) wide receiver Aaron Dobson hauled in five catches for 119 yards and a pair of touchdowns, including an 86-yard strike from quarterback Eddie Sullivan to highlight the offensive attack.

Sullivan entered the game in the mid-way through the third quarter for starter Brian Anderson.  Sullivan ended the night 2-for-7 for 97 yards along with his first career touchdown pass.  Anderson finished 15-of-30, tallying 129 yards and a score to Dobson in the second quarter.

UCF (4-2, 2-0 C-USA) racked up 248 yards on the ground, spearheaded by running back Ronnie Weaver.  The Wabasso, Fla., native finished with a career-best 150 yards on 30 attempts to guide the Knights to victory.

The Knights opened up a 14-0 lead, with Rob Calabrese running for a two-yard score in the first quarter before Jeff Godfrey tacked on a nine-yard run just over two minutes into the second period. 

Marshall got on the board with 6:12 remaining in the half as Dobson hauled in a 12-yard strike from Brian Anderson.  Following the ensuing kickoff, lightning in the area caused the game to be delayed for one hour and eight minutes.

UCF extended its lead to 28-7 after tacking on a pair of scores to open the third quarter.  The Herd responded with a score of its own as true freshman Eddie Sullivan threw the first touchdown of his career, an 86-yard completion to Dobson to cut the deficit to 28-14.

The comeback attempt fell short as the Knights scored one more time in the fourth quarter to finish off the 35-14 victory.

Omar Brown led all defensive players with 16 tackles, surpassing his previous career high of 11.  Kellen Harris added ten tackles.

Marshall will have ten days to regroup before traveling to East Carolina on October 23rd at 4 p.m.  The Herd will return home seven days later to face UTEP.