Skip to main content Skip to footer

Wildcats Hand Marshall First Home Loss of 2012

Virgara led both teams in shots

Oct. 17, 2012

Final Stats

HURRICANE, W.Va. -- The Marshall University men’s soccer team lost its first home match of the 2012 season on Wednesday night, falling 1-0 to the visiting University of Kentucky Wildcats in a tightly-contested Conference USA showdown at Hurricane High.

The Wildcats’ Dylan Asher finished-off a Matt Lodge through-ball in the 55th minute of play for the game’s only goal as Kentucky condemned the Thundering Herd to its second C-USA defeat of the year. The Herd now sits at 10-2-1 on the season and 2-2 in league play, while Kentucky improves to 7-6-1 overall and 2-1-1 in the conference. The Wildcats are now one point ahead of Marshall in the league standings with a game in hand.

Both squads’ leading scorers – Marshall’s Tom Jackson and Kentucky’s Tyler Riggs – did not play in the contest, but that didn’t stop the two teams from combining for 28 shots in a back-and-forth match. Marshall’s junior midfielder Anthony Virgara led both teams with five shots as Marshall outshot the visiting Wildcats 17 to 11.

The Herd’s Andrew Ferguson had what was perhaps Marshall’s best chance in the game when his header struck the post and stayed out with 10-minutes remaining in the second half. The Herd managed to put together a few more scoring opportunities in the dying minutes, but was unable to convert its chances into goals as time expired.

 “I thought it was a pretty even match,” said head coach Bob Gray. “We just didn’t take advantage of some of the opportunities we had and Kentucky managed to put a good chance away. The ball just didn’t bounce our way in this one, and we missed Tom Jackson, but we can’t make excuses because they’re a good side. We’ve had a good season so far, so we need to move past this one and focus on the games we have left.”



The Thundering Herd will now take to the road for a Saturday night match against UAB in Birmingham. The kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET.