Skip to main content Skip to footer

85th Minute Goal Helps Men's Soccer Draw with Tulsa

Zach Hunter's 85th minute score helped Marshall to a 1-1 draw with Tulsa

Oct. 26, 2013

Final Stats | Box Score

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – In a contest that saw 32 combined shots and 13 corner kicks, the Marshall men’s soccer team finished with a 1-1 draw against Conference USA preseason favorite Tulsa on Hoops Family Field at Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex on Saturday.

With the draw, the Thundering Herd is now 2-8-6 overall and 0-3-3 against C-USA opponents. The tie has Tulsa at 7-5-3 on the season, with a 2-3-2 record in league play. Marshall is now 2-2-4 through eight matches at Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex.

 “Overtime games are tough and we have had seven of them this season,” coach Bob Gray said. “It has been one of those years where we can’t finish and score goals, but I am proud of these guys. We could have easily packed it in for the rest of the season, but the guys have continued to fight for everything and that says a lot about our team.”

Making his first-career start in goal, redshirt freshman Bijan Gloston (Clarksville, Tenn.) played big with three saves in the first half that kept Tulsa from taking an early lead over the Herd. Through the first 45 minutes of play, Marshall controlled possession and the pace of the match to keep the Golden Hurricane defense on their toes.

At the half with both sides scoreless, Marshall led in shots (6-4) and corner kicks (3-2), while Tulsa led in shots on goal (3-2).

The battle for possession continued in the second half as both sides were aiming for a win and the three points that come with it.

In the 84th minute the contest was no longer scoreless as Quinton Duncan headed a ball home off of a corner kick from Omar Mata to put Tulsa on top 1-0.

Marshall would rebound just 58 seconds later as a cross from freshman Daniel Jodah (Mississauga, Ontario) found the foot of senior co-captain Zach Hunter (Marietta, Ga.) who finished the play with a top-shelf strike past the outstretched arms of the Golden Hurricane goalie. Hunter’s first goal of the season came at a good time for the Herd as his equalizer made it 1-1 in the 85th minute.

Once neither team was able to score before regulation concluded, both sides geared up for golden-goal overtime. Marshall and Tulsa both created opportunities for themselves, but the opposing defenses and goalies would not allow a game-winner as after two 10-minute overtime periods, the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

After 110 minutes of play, Tulsa recorded more shots (21-11), corner kicks (9-4) and shots on goal (10-4) than Marshall. Gloston made nine saves for the Herd in his first-career outing.

Marshall is now 0-1-6 this season in games that enter overtime, with four of those seven matches having come at home for the Herd, all of which have ended in a draw.

With the draw, the all-time series between Tulsa and Marshall has the Golden Hurricane leading 7-2-2 through 11 meetings.

The Herd will continue league play when it hosts Kentucky at home on Wednesday, Oct. 30, at 7 p.m. with Marshall continuing its quest for a berth in the C-USA Championships.

In-game Twitter updates @HerdMSoccer, results and a recap from the night’s action will be available at