Skip to main content Skip to footer

Marshall Falls to WVU, 2-1, in Rivalry Scrimmage

Freshman Daniel Jodah made the assist on Forde's goal.

March 7, 2014

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The bit of snow left on the pitch at Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex was melted by a hot Marshall offense, Friday evening. However, a lead in the shot chart failed to convert to a lead on the scoreboard as the men’s soccer team fell to in-state West Virginia, 2-1.

In front of a crowd of 836 spring soccer fans, Marshall opened play on the attack, controlling the ball offensively for much of the first few minutes. Freshman midfielder Daniel Jodah (Mississauga, Ontario) stuck on-target for the Herd in the fifth minute, but Mountaineer goalkeeper Brent Arnold laid out for the save. Jodah sent one again in the 21st minute, but Arnold remained solid for WVU.

A minute later, a corner kick from Zak Leedom to Jack Elliot past Herd goalkeeper Bijan Gloston (Clarksville, Tenn.) put the Mountaineers on the scoreboard, but Marshall responded swiftly with a cross inside the six-yard line from Jodah to Ryan Forde (London, England), who put the ball top-shelf over Arnold in the 24th minute to tie the match at 1-1. The score marked Forde’s first goal in a Herd uniform, as a spring 2014 Marshall transfer.

The Herd would place two more shots on WVU’s goalkeeper, by Connor Marino (Hopewell, N.J.) in the 30th and Forde again with a header in the 35th off a Matt Freeman (Irmo, S.C.) throw-in. Marshall went into the halftime break leading the shots-on-goal chart, 5-1.

Tommy Trupo (Scott Depot, W.Va.) tried for the Herd in the 49th minute but was deflected by new WVU keeper Lee Johnston. The teams traded shots on-goal in the 58th minute, and Jodah bent one again for Marshall in the 64th. Trevor Starcher (Hurricane, W.Va.) broke away from the Mountaineer defense and had a prime opportunity for the go-ahead goal in the 78th minute, but his shot fell wide right.



West Virginia would get the final say, as Jamie Merriam put one past Brady Reymond (Point Pleasant, W.Va.) in the 81st minute, and the Herd couldn’t find an equalizer in the final nine minutes, falling, 2-1.

Gloston made one save and allowed one goal, and Reymond made two saves while allowing one score. The Herd led the Mountaineers in both shots on-goal (8-3) and corner kicks (3-2).

For all the latest information about Marshall men’s soccer, follow @HerdMSoccer on Twitter.