Skip to main content Skip to footer

Second Half Struggles Lead to 67-50 Loss

Suporia Dickens had 12 points and 11 rebounds.

Feb. 10, 2013

Final Stats Get Acrobat Reader

Final Stats

DALLAS, Texas - Marshall women's basketball took a 67-50 loss to the No. 1 team in Conference USA, SMU, on Sunday afternoon in Dallas, Texas.

The Thundering Herd dropped to 7-15 (1-8 C-USA) with the loss, while SMU improved to 18-4 (9-0 C-USA) and extended its win streak to ten.

Marshall was led by three players who had double-digit scoring including Chukwuka Ezeigbo (12 points), Suporia Dickens (12 points) and Erica Woods (10 points).

Dickens also led the Herd on boards, totaling 11 rebounds. The rebound total, plus her 12 points gave the junior forward her first career double-double. Eight of the 11 rebounds were off the offensive board.

SMU was led by Kansas transfer, Keena Mays, who had a game-high 17 points after going 4-for-8 from behind the three-point arc. She also had five rebounds, five assists, and two steals. Akil Simpson added 15 points and recorded a double-double after earning 11 rebounds.

Inaccurate shooting plagued Marshall as the Herd went 19-of-64 from the field for a 29.7 shooting percentage. Marshall finished with an 18.2 percentage in three-pointers after going 4-for-22 from behind the arc. The Herd also had trouble grabbing the free points, going 8-for-16 from the charity stripe.

Marshall out-rebounded the Mustangs 46-41 and totaled 22 offensive rebounds, compared to the Mustang's 14. The 46 rebounds was the second-highest total of the season for the Herd. Unfortunately, Marshall could only turn the 22 offensive boards into 15 second chance points.

After going back and forth for the first 11 points, SMU then made three-pointers on three straight possessions, allowing the Mustangs to go ahead 17-13 with nine minutes left in the first half.

Mays had 13 first half points for the Mustangs to allow SMU a 31-23 advantage after the first 20 minutes. Marshall was led by Dickens, Woods, and Shay Weaver with five points each in the first half. Ezeigbo had six rebounds in the period.

Marshall started the second half with an eight-point run that was sparked by an and-one play from Ezeigbo. The run trimmed the Mustangs lead to 33-31 after just five minutes of play in the second half.

SMU responded and scored 11 unanswered points in return to extend the lead to 44-33 with 12 minutes left in the game.

SMU used the momentum to keep Marshall to just three points for the next seven straight minutes, allowing the Mustangs take a 60-36 advantage with 5:30 left in the game. SMU took its largest lead at 65-41 with just over three minutes left and the Herd ended the game with a 67-50 loss.

Marshall will return the Cam Henderson Center for a game against UTEP on Thursday, January 14. Tip off begins at 7 p.m. ET.