Women's Soccer Drops C-USA Opener

Sept. 30, 2006

Box Score

Complete Release in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.- The Marshall Thundering Herd women's soccer team made a valiant effort in its season opening Conference USA match against UAB. The Herd held the lead on two different occasions, but fell in the last 30 second of play 3-2 to the UAB Blazers Friday night at West Campus Field.

"I am very proud of the girls tonight for the effort they showed. UAB is a talented team and we played toe-to-toe with them all night. It is tough when you fight so hard but don't come away with the win," Head Coach Chris Kane said.

Marshall opened scoring up in the 22nd minute of play when Ali Lizotte sent a long crossing ball to the far side of the field for Molly Snead. Snead collected the pass inside of the 18 yard box and ripped a shot to the opposite side of the goal past the Blazer's goaltender. The goal is Snead's second of the season.

Liz Orton came up big for the Herd in the 33rd minute of play when a Blazer made a run carrying the ball deep inside the Marshall penalty box. Orton came running off of her line to make the sliding save and keep the score at 1-0.

With 40 seconds left in the first half Snead threatened again, but play was whistled dead when an extra ball entered the field of play.

The Herd went into halftime leading 1-0. The Blazers out-shot Marshall 6-4, Orton made three saves and UAB's Julia McFarlane did not make any saves in the first half.



UAB evened the score in the 52nd minute of play when Sally Palmer notched a goal unassisted off of a direct kick five yards outside of the Marshall penalty box.

Dana Yeske lifted Marshall up 2-1 in the 59th minute off of a high sailing shot that snuck between the goalie's fingertips and the crossbar. Yeske's first career goal was assisted by Snead.

The Blazer's tied the match at two when Dayna Barsalona was assisted by Katie Hendricks in the 82nd minute.

Kassie Hollman about put the Herd on top once again just one minute after UAB's goal, but McFarlane made the diving save to keep the score at two-a-piece.

For the first time in the game UAB took the lead with just 37 seconds left in the second half. Caitlin Marple scored the game-winning goal with an assist by Palmer.

The Herd tallied eight shots to UAB's 19 and Orton made eight saves in the match. McFarlane made two saves in the 90 minutes.

"The girls are going to continue this tough play and be ready for Memphis on Sunday," Kane said.

Marshall will play next at Memphis on Sunday, Oct. 1 at 2 p.m. EST.