The Herd will try and reach new heights in 2014.
May 24, 2013
Photo Gallery (Kentucky) | Photo Gallery (Notre Dame) | Photo Gallery (Virginia Tech)
HUNTINGTON, W. Va. – When the 2013 season started, the Marshall softball team struggled to find a winning groove. In the midst of the six seniors, two juniors, two sophomores and 10 freshmen, common ground was difficult to obtain.
Their head coach Shonda Stanton saw something in them that they hadn’t seen in themselves. In fact, Stanton told her 20 student-athletes that they were going to be “the best softball team in Marshall history,” when the Thundering Herd was just 2-7.
Whatever she saw, she was right, and all of Herd Nation was witness to it.
Together, the 2013 Marshall softball team…
- Won its first-ever C-USA Tournament Championship – second in Marshall history (volleyball, 2005)
- Earned its first NCAA regional bid and walked away with a victory over Notre Dame (43-15) and two losses – the victory was the first since football in 1996
- Held a 22-game home winning streak that spanned back to 2012 and ended on April 13 against ECU
- Held a 14-game regular-season win streak, including three consecutive sweeps of C-USA opponents – Southern Miss, UCF and Memphis
- Had a 36-win season
- Earned four C-USA player of the week
- Ranked No. 1 in conference for regular-season home runs (40) and stolen bases (121)
- Ranked No. 2 nationally in stolen bases (2.33 pg)
The freshmen class (10)…
- Held four starting positions
- Earned a C-USA First Team position (Kaelynn Greene)– never has a freshman, in Marshall history, earned a spot on the first team
- Earned one spot on the conference tournament team (Katalin Lucas)
- Earned a C-USA Hitter of the Week honor (Shaelynn Braxton)
- Was responsible for 15 of the team’s 42 home runs.
- Stole 53 of Marshall’s 133 stolen bases.
- Connected for 24 of the Herd’s 57 doubles.
- Consistently led the team in conference offensive efforts – batting average, home runs, RBIs, doubles, stolen bases and walks.
- Defensively had 48 strikeouts and earned three victories in 34 appearances.
The sophomore class (2)…
- Was responsible for base-running efforts in 53 games
- Had 20 stolen bases
- Crossed the plate 32 times for the Herd
The junior class (2)…
- Had a perfect regular-season fielding percentage (Savanah Webster) – tying for first place in C-USA
- Hit the only home run in NCAA regional play (Savanah Webster)
- Hit five homers and five doubles
The senior class (6)…
- Were leaders on and off the field
- Earned three C-USA All-Tournament Team spots, as well as the tournament MVP
- Earned three C-USA weekly honors
- Earned two spots in the NFCA Mideast Second Team
- Earned three spots in the CoSIDA Capital One All-Academic District 2 First Team
- Earned two spots in the C-USA All-Academic Team
- Led the team offensively during the regular-season – batting average, RBIs, home runs, doubles, stolen bases and walks
- Was responsible for 21 of the 42 team homers
- Was responsible for 58 of 133 stolen bases
- Was responsible for 27 of 57 doubles
- Earned the most strikeouts (364) and wins (33) in history (Andi Williamson)
- Ranked No. 2 nationally in strikeouts and No. 3 in wins (Andi Williamson)
- Led the team in offensive efforts throughout post-season play (Ashley Gue)