Feb. 17, 2007
Download Free Acrobat Reader
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - The Marshall Thundering Herd got back on the winning side of things by taking down the Ohio State Buckeyes, 5-2 Saturday.
The No. 58 Herd (6-4) opened the match by dropping its second straight doubles point, and the first singles point of the afternoon. Marshall was quickly down 2-0 to the Buckeyes (5-2). However, Marshall would storm back taking the following four single matches to claim the victory.
"We are really proud how they came back after losing the doubles point," Marshall head coach John Mercer said. "They came back and responded and that showed a lot of determination to be able to take the win."
"Today is the best we competed all year. We showed a lot of progress and hope we can keep that going. We played a good team and we played at a level we think we are capable of playing."
The Herd found its groove in singles as Lynzee Kever picked up a win at No. 4, over Caitlin O'Keefe, 6-4, 6-3. From there it was straight-set victories for the Herd as Jeanne Schwartz, Karolina Soor and Kellie Schmitt all claimed wins.
"Ohio State is a good team and we had to really play hard and stay competitive to win," Mercer said. "We are really proud of how they played today."
The Herd will return home for its next three matches beginning on Feb. 23, when Marshall will take on Miami (Ohio) at 1 p.m. and follow with Eastern Kentucky at 6 p.m.
#58 Marshall 5, Ohio State 2
2/17/2007 at Williamsburg, Va.
1. #18 Kellie Schmitt (MAR) def. Julie Blackmore (OSU) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Karolina Soor (MAR) def. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Yulia Kashelkina (MAR) 6-4, 6-2
4. Lynzee Kever (MAR) def. Caitlin O'Keefe (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
5. #94 Thaddea Lock (MAR) def. Ally Mueller (OSU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-7
6. Jeanne Schwartz (MAR) def. Angela DiPastina (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
1. Karolina Soor/Thaddea Lock (MAR) def. Ciara Finucane/Kristin Messmer (OSU) 8-1
2. Sonia Ruzimovsky/Caitlin O'Keefe (OSU) def. Kellie Schmitt/Yulia Kashelkina (MAR) 8-6
3. Julie Blackmore/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Lynzee Kever/Jeanne Schwartz (MAR) 8-6
Ohio State 5-2
Marshall 6-4; National ranking #58
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,6,2,1,5)