Complete Release in PDF Format
March 1, 2008
BARBOURSVILLE, W.Va. - The Marshall University's women's tennis team upset bid fell short to the No. 25 nationally-ranked foe Virginia Commonwealth University on Saturday afternoon, 6-0, at the Huntington Tennis Club. The 55th-ranked Thundering Herd dropped to 9-3 overall while the Rams improved to 13-0 so far this season.
"VCU played really good today," Marshall's head coach John Mercer said. "But we didn't play poorly either."
Despite the doubles point loss, the 9th-ranked pair of Kellie Schmitt (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and Karolina Soor (Lindesberg, Sweden) improved their perfect record to 10-0 with an 8-6 decision over Tatsiana Uvarova and Viktoria Konstantinova.
At the two, Laura Burns and Vera Petrashevitch defeated the Herd's Thaddea Lock (Bristol, England) and Isabell Raich (Klaus, Austria), 8-0. Yulia Kashelkina (Moscow, Russia) and Jessica Keener (Reston, Va.) fell short to Kateryna Yergina and Olena Leonchuk, 8-4, at the doubles three.
"VCU could sustain the pressure consistently today," Coach Mercer continued.
After a hard fought match at the number one position, No. 33 Uvarova defeated Marshall's Schmitt (39th), 6-2, 6-3, to break Schmitt's perfect singles streak record so far this season.
Soor came up short at the two spot against Yergina, 6-3, 2-6, 6-0. Konstantinova defeated Jeanne Schwartz (West Palm Beach, Fla.), 6-4, 7-5, at the number three. Raich fell short to Leonchuk at the four, 6-4, 7-5. Playing the five, Burns defeated Keener, 6-0, 6-0. At the six, Petrashevitch suspended play with Lock for no point.
The Rams advanced its all-time series lead over the Herd to 2-0.
"We got a lot out of this match," Coach Mercer added. "We need to keep playing these kinds of matches to make us better."
The Herd will rest-up and continue action when it plays host to Old Dominion University and Michigan State University next weekend. Marshall will face the Monarchs at 2 p.m. on Friday, March 7, and then challenge the Spartans on Saturday, March 8, with first serve set for 12 p.m.
Virginia Commonwealth vs Marshall
3/1/2008 at Huntington, W.Va.
#25 Virginia Commonwealth 6, #55 Marshall 0
1. #33 Tatsiana Uvarova (VCU) def. #39 Kellie Schmitt (MAR) 6-2, 6-3
2. Kateryna Yergina (VCU) def. Karolina Soor (MAR) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
3. Viktoria Konstantino (VCU) def. Jeanne Schwartz (MAR) 6-4, 7-5
4. Olena Leonchuk (VCU) def. Isabell Raich (MAR) 6-4, 7-5
5. Laura Burns (VCU) def. Jessica Keener (MAR) 6-0, 6-0
6. Vera Petrashevitch (VCU) vs. Thaddea Lock (MAR) no result
1. #9 Kellie Schmitt/Karolina Soor (MAR) def. Viktoria Konstantino/Tatsiana Uvarova (VCU) 8-6
2. Laura Burns/Vera Petrashevitch (VCU) def. Thaddea Lock/Isabell Raich (MAR) 8-0
3. Kateryna Yergina/Olena Leonchuk (VCU) def. Jessica Keener/Yulia Kashelkina (MAR) 8-4
Virginia Commonwealth 13-0; National ranking #25
Marshall 9-3; National ranking #55