Tennis Falls, 5-2, to No. 71 BYU
No. 62 Marshall women finish 0-for-2 in Utah
March 20, 2014
PROVO, Utah – Competing in its second dual match in three days against ranked opponents, both having come in the stats of Utah, the Marshall tennis team was defeated by No. 71 BYU, 5-2, on Thursday evening.
The Thundering has now lost two consecutive dual matches, bringing its overall record this spring to 10-5, and 2-4 against ranked foes.
“We were up 7-5 in the No. 1 doubles match and let them back in it and then up 5-2 in the break and surrendered five straight points to lose,” said Marshall coach John Mercer. “Not being able to pull that one out really hurt us in the end. It was the same thing today; we were ahead in a couple matches and just couldn’t get it done.”
On the doubles courts, the Cougars got off to a quick start by winning the contests on the No. 3 and No. 1 courts, in that order, to collect the doubles point and go out front 1-0 in the match. Continuing their hot streak as a pair, senior Karli Timko (Houston, Pa.) and freshman Anna Pomyatinskaya (Sochi, Russia) won their doubles tilt on court No. 2, 8-6, but were unable to contribute to the dual match score with BYU already having secured the point.
The Cougars would win the first two singles matches to finish, continuing to grow the margin as the dual match advantage was pushed to 3-0 in favor of the home team.
Marshall would make things interesting by seizing the next two singles matches to conclude as junior Kai Broomfield (Toronto, Canada) won in the No. 3 spot in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, and freshman Derya Turhan (Bad Salzuflen, Germany) won 6-1, 7-5 at the No. 2 seed.
With the dual match score within one, 3-2, BYU rebounded to erase all hopes for a Herd comeback with victories on the final two courts to clinch a 5-2 win in the dual match.
“Derya and Kai did a great job of coming back after doubles losses to get wins in singles, but we just have to do a better job throughout the whole lineup,” Mercer said.
The Herd will now have a week off before retaking the road to take on Old Dominion on Friday, Mar. 28 at 1 p.m. ET.
No. 71 BYU 5, No. 62 Marshall 2
Doubles (Order of finish: 3, 1, 2)
1. Jones, Mayci/Miclat, Toby (BYU) def. Dana Oppinger/Derya Turhan (MAR) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Karli Timko/Anna Pomyatinskaya (MAR) def. Tran, Nicolette/Tran, Desiree (BYU) 8-6
3. Sheehan-Dizon, Meg./ANDERSON, Morgan (BYU) def. Kai Broomfield/Rachael Morales (MAR) 8-2
Singles (Order of finish: 5, 6, 3, 2, 4, 1)
1. Jones, Mayci (BYU) def. Dana Oppinger (MAR) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Derya Turhan (MAR) def. Sheehan-Dizon, Meg. (BYU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Kai Broomfield (MAR) def. Tran, Nicolette (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Miclat, Toby (BYU) def. Anna Pomyatinskaya (MAR) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Ware, Savannah (BYU) def. Karli Timko (MAR) 6-1, 6-1
6. Anderson, Morgan (BYU) def. Rachael Morales (MAR) 6-0, 6-2