March 28, 2014
NORFOLK, Va. - Looking to snap a two-match losing skid, the Marshall women's tennis team did just that with a 4-3 victory over Conference USA foe Old Dominion on Friday afternoon at Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
With the victory, the Thundering Herd improved to 11-5 overall in dual matches this spring and 1-0 in C-USA play, while the Monarchs fall to 9-5 overall and 1-1 in league play. Now 6-4 in road contests this spring, Marshall's victory came over an ODU squad entered the day 7-1 on its home courts.
"It was a very emotional match with multiple momentum swings," said Marshall coach John Mercer. "We had some issues during our match which made it hectic, but we just battled in every spot and we were able to pull it out."
Starting off the day right for the Herd, the No. 3 doubles pair of junior Kai Broomfield (Toronto, Canada) and freshman Rachael Morales (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) won their contest, 8-5, and put Marshall in prime position for the doubles point. In the No. 2 spot, senior Karli Timko (Houston, Pa.) and freshman Anna Pomyatinskaya (Sochi, Russia) clinched the doubles point for the Herd by a score of 8-7 (4) after ODU won the No. 1 doubles contest.
Once Marshall took a 1-0 lead in the dual match after taking the doubles point, the visitors began to roll on the singles courts. Pomytinskaya and Broomfield both picked up straight-set singles wins by respective scores of 6-1, 6-0 and 7-5, 6-3, which gave the Herd a commanding 3-0 advantage in the dual match.
On its home courts, the Monarchs rallied to win the next three singles matches to conclude, on the No. 1, 2 and 5 courts, bringing the dual match score to a 3-3 tie with one match still ongoing.
Seizing the moment, Morales stepped up for Marshall once again, to win in three sets, 6-2, 5-7, 6-1, giving her a sweep on the day and helping the Herd to the 4-3 dual match triumph.
"I am really pleased with the way Rachael (Morales) competed after losing the second set and how she was able to close it out and help us get the team win as a freshman," Mercer said.
Marshall will conclude its two-contest weekend in Virginia with a morning dual match on Sunday, Mar. 30 against VCU at 11 a.m. ET.
Marshall 4, Old Dominion 3
Doubles (Order of finish: 3, 1, 2)
1. Melissa Esnal Olguin/Nikol Hristova (ODU) def. Dana Oppinger/Derya Turhan (Marshall), 8-5
2. Karli Timko/Anna Pomytinskaya (Marshall) def. Ingrid Vojcinakova/Marijana Novakovic (ODU), 8-7 (4)
3. Kai Broomfield/Rachael Morales (Marshall) def. Nika Khmolovska/Ivana Vukovic (ODU), 8-5
Singles (Order of finish: 4, 3, 5, 2, 1, 6)
1. Nikol Hristova (ODU) def. Dana Oppinger (Marshall), 6-0, 7-6 (3)
2. Ingrid Vojcinakova (ODU) def. Derya Turhan (Marshall), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Kai Broomfield (Marshall) def. Marijana Novakovic, 7-5, 6-3
4. Anna Pomytinskaya (Marshall) def. Ivana Vukovic (ODU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Melissa Esnal Olguin (ODU) def. Karli Timko (Marshall), 6-2, 6-3
6. Rachael Morales (Marshall) def. Nika Khmolovska (ODU), 6-2, 5-7, 6-1