April 6, 2014
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – On a day meant to honor the career of senior Karli Timko (Houston, Pa.), the Marshall women’s tennis team seized the day en route to downing Cincinnati, 6-1, at the Brian David Fox Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
With the win, the Thundering Herd is now 12-6 overall on the season, while the Bearcats drop to 9-11 overall in spring dual matches. Marshall is now 6-1 on its home courts this spring.
“It was a great day,” said Marshall coach John Mercer. “We had a great crowd today which was exciting for Karli (Timko)’s Senior Day and it was good to see Karli play two good matches. I felt like we bounced back really well after a disappointment on Friday so hopefully we can ride momentum from today and finish the season strong.”
Before a strong home crowd, Marshall got off to a fast start with a sweep of the three doubles matches to jump ahead 1-0 in the dual match. Junior Kai Broomfield (Toronto, Canada) and freshman Rachael Morales (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) collected an 8-0 win in the No. 3 spot, while in the No. 2 position Timko and freshman Anna Pomyatinskaya (Sochi, Russia) won 8-2.
Completing the doubles sweep, sophomore Dana Oppinger (Weingarten, Germany) and freshman Derya Turhan (Bad Salzuflen, Germany) won the No. 1 doubles contest over the Bearcats, 8-6.
When it came time for singles play, the Herd continued to thunder through Cincinnati as Broomfield wrapped up a straight-set win, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 3 spot. Soon after Broomfield, Timko finished her contest in the No. 5 position with a 6-4, 6-1 victory that gave Marshall a commanding 3-0 edge in the dual match.
After the Bearcats countered with a win on court No. 1, Marshall clinched the dual match with a 6-3, 6-3 victory by Turhan in the second spot. With two matches still in progress, the Herd led 4-1.
Marshall would continue rolling as Pomyatinskaya (7-6, 6-4) and Morales (6-3, 6-0) each collected straight-set sweeps in their No. 4 and No. 6 singles matches, respectively. Once Morales completed her contest, the day was done for the Herd as Marshall collected a 6-1 dual match win.
The Herd will now play two road dual matches in two days away from home late next week with contests against Eastern Kentucky (April 10) and Louisville (April 11).
No. 71 Marshall 6, Cincinnati 1
Doubles (Order of finish: 3, 2, 1)
1. Dana Oppinger/Derya Turhan (Marshall) def. Kelly Poggensee-Wei/Caitlin O‘Gara (Cincinnati) – 8-6
2. Anna Pomyatinskaya/Karli Timko (Marshall) def. Ashleigh Witte/Lauren Bellinger (Cincinnati) – 8-2
3. Kai Broomfield/Rachael Morales (Marshall) def. Carly Wilson/Katya Bure (Cincinnati), – 8-0
Singles (Order of finish: 3, 5, 1, 2, 4, 6)
1. Kelly Poggensee-Wei (Cincinnati) def. Dana Oppinger (Marshall), 7-6, 7-5
2. Derya Turhan (Marshall) def. Ashleigh Witte (Cincinnati) – 6-3, 6-0
3. Kai Broomfield (Marshall) def. Caitlin O‘Gara (Cincinnati) – 6-2, 6-2
4. Anna Pomyatinskaya (Marshall) def. Katya Bure (Cincinnati) – 7-6, 6-4
5. Karli Timko (Marshall) def. Lauren Bellinger (Cincinnati) – 6-4, 6-1
6. Rachael Morales (Marshall) vs. Hannah Wilson (Cincinnati) – 6-3, 6-0