April 10, 2014
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Back on the road after its home finale, the No. 72 Marshall women’s tennis team continued its hot streak with a 5-2 win over Eastern Kentucky on Thursday afternoon.
The nationally-ranked Thundering Herd is now 13-6 on the season, while the Colonels drop to 12-9 overall with the loss. Marshall is 7-5 this spring away from home and 5-5 in true road contests.
Looking to grab an early lead, Marshall did just that by sweeping two doubles contests, with the third having been unfinished. First to finish was the No. 2 team of senior Karli Timko (Houston, Pa.) and freshman Anna Pomyatinskaya (Sochi, Russia) who won 8-3 for their 11th straight doubles win as a pair. Helping clinch the doubles point was junior Kai Broomfield (Toronto, Canada) and freshman Rachael Morales (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) in the No. 1 spot with their 8-7 (8-6) victory giving the Herd a 1-0 lead in the dual match.
EKU countered with a singles win on court No. 1 to equalize the contest at one apiece. Once Pomyatinskaya won her singles match in three sets in the No. 4 spot, 6-3, 3-6, 6-0, the Colonels took court No. 2 to bring the dual match score to 2-2.
Morales would win in the six spot after dropping the first set to put the Herd ahead and Marshall would never look back. On court five, Timko collected a straight-set singles win, 7-6, 6-4, to put Marshall ahead 4-2, clinching the dual match win with a match to play.
In a close match, Broomfield closed out EKU with a three-set win, 6-4, 6-7, 7-6 (9-7), in the No. 3 position to give the Herd a 5-2 victory in the dual match.
The Herd will remain in the Bluegrass State for a dual match against No. 55 Louisville on Friday, April 11, at 4 p.m.
No. 72 Marshall 5, EKU 2
Doubles (Order of finish: 2, 1)
1. Dana Oppinger/Derya Turhan (Marshall) def. Melissa Gerritsen/Kristina Labeja (EKU) – 8-7 (8-6)
2. Anna Pomyatinskaya/Karli Timko (Marshall) def. Saioa Oscoz/Carmen Rodriguez (EKU) – 8-3
3. Kai Broomfield/Rachael Morales (Marshall) vs. Amandine Faouzi/Milena Poffo (EKU) – 6-4, unfinished
Singles (Order of finish: 1, 4, 2, 6, 5, 3)
1. Kristina Labeja (EKU) def. Dana Oppinger (Marshall), 6-0, 6-2
2. Amandine Faouzi def. Derya Turhan (Marshall) – 6-2, 6-2
3. Kai Broomfield (Marshall) def. Melissa Gerritsen (EKU) – 6-4, 6-7, 7-6 (9-7)
4. Anna Pomyatinskaya def. Saioa Oscoz (EKU) – 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
5. Karli Timko (Marshall) def. Milena Poffo (EKU) – 7-6, 6-4
6. Rachael Morales (Marshall) vs. Marcela Jimenez – 3-6, 7-5, 6-1