April 11, 2014
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - With the amount of regular-season dual matches dwindling down., the Marshall women's tennis team fell short against No. 55 Louisville in a 4-3 defeat on Friday evening at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
The nationally-ranked Thundering Herd drops to 13-7 overall this spring with its Conference USA mark remaining at 1-0, while the Cardinals improve to 12-4 this season with the victory. Marshall is now 5-6 this season in true road contests.
"It was a great college match and I am really impressed," said Marshall coach John Mercer. "We had chances in singles and were right there, but were unable to convert. I think we fought hard and I am proud of our fight."
For the 12th consecutive time this season, senior Karli Timko (Houston, Pa.) and freshman Anna Pomyatinskaya (Sochi, Russia) won their No. 2 doubles match by a score of 8-7 (7-4). Clinching the doubles point was junior Kai Broomfield (Toronto, Canada) and freshman Rachael Morales (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) in the No. 3 spot, 8-3, to put the Herd ahead 1-0 in the dual match.
Marshall would use the No. 4 singles court to its advantage with a 6-2, 6-2 win in straight sets by Pomtinskaya to keep her side in the contest down the stretch. Unfortunately for the Herd, the score would get no closer as Louisville would flex its strength en route to a win.
Marshall will close out the regular season on Tuesday, April 15 at VCU in a dual match that was originally scheduled for Mar. 30, but was postponed due to poor weather conditions. The makeup will begin at 11:00 a.m. ET from Richmond, Va.
No. 55 Louisville 4, No. 72 Marshall 3
1. Manuela Velasquez/Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Dana Oppinger/Derya Turhan (MAR) 8-4
2. Karli Timko/Anna Pomyatinskaya (MAR) def. Julia Fellerhoff/Elle Stokes (LOU) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Kai Broomfield/Rachael Morales (MAR) def. Olivia Boesing/Becky Bodine (LOU) 8-3
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Dana Oppinger (MAR) 6-0, 1-6, 6-4
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Derya Turhan (MAR) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Kai Broomfield (MAR) 6-3, 6-1
4. Anna Pomyatinskaya (MAR) def. Elle Stokes (LOU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Karli Timko (MAR) def. Becky Bodine (LOU) 7-6 (3), 4-0 (retire)
6. Olivia Boesing (LOU) def. Rachael Morales (MAR) 6-4, 6-3