@Herd_Tennis Shines on Opening Day of South Carolina Invite
The Herd went 7-2 overall, winning five singles matches and a pair of doubles matches
COLUMBIA, S.C.—The Marshall women’s tennis team opened its 2017-18 season Friday with seven wins on the first day at the South Carolina Fall Invite.
Four Herd who took part in the opening day won at least one match. Daniela Dankanych, Anna Smith and Ana Marhuenda each won a singles match and a doubles match. Marija Bogicevic won a doubles match.
The Herd opened play with singles matches against James Madison. Anna Smith and Dankanych each won in straight sets. Marhuenda needed a third-set tiebreaker to win her match. Lashway and Bogicevic fell in straight sets. Stephanie Smith fell in a third-set tiebreaker
The Herd continued play Friday with doubles matches against Conference USA foe Middle Tennessee. Anna Smith and Dankanych won their match, 6-3, and Bogicevic and Marhuenda won their match, 6-0. Stephanie Smith and Lashway fell in a tight match, 7-5.
1. Emma Petersen (James Madison) def. Stephanie Smith (Marshall); 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Anna Makarova (James Madison) def. Brooke Lashway (Marshall); 7-6(0), 7-5
3. Anna Smith (Marshall) def. Kimmy Herrock (James Madison); 6-4, 6-4
4. Daniela Dankanych (Marshall) def. Michaela Kluska (James Madison); 6-4, 7-5
5. Polina Miroschnichenko (Liberty) def. Marija Bogicevic (Marshall); 7-6, 6-1
6. Ana Marhuenda (Marshall) def. Nasha Ghajar (Liberty); 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-3)
1. Kim Kermet/Luisa Zirilli (Middle Tennessee) def. Stephanie Smith/Brooke Lashway (Marshall); 7-5
2. Anna Smith/Daniela Dankanych (Marshall) def. Maria Josefina Zehnder/Marta Peris Herrero (Middle Tennessee); 6-3
3. Marija Bogicevic/Ana Marhuenda (Marshall) def. Lidia Burrows/Costanza Magazzini (Middle Tennessee); 6-0
The Herd continues play at the South Carolina Fall Invitational Saturday. Marshall will play South Carolina in singles play at 8 a.m. and James Madison in doubles play at 1 p.m.