Herd Tennis Sweeps Redhawks, 7-0
Marshall Claims Third Victory in Conference Play
OXFORD, Ohio- The Marshall University women’s tennis team improved their record to 3-0 in Mid-American Conference play with a 7-0 sweep of Miami, at the Riverside Racquet Club, Friday. With the victory, the Thundering Herd improved to 12-3 on the year.
Marshall opened the match by claiming the doubles point. The Herd has clinched the doubles point 14 out of 15 tries this year, and has swept the point nine times.
In the number one double slot 16th ranked senior Jessica Johnson (Sewickly, Pa.) and junior Ashley Kroh (Louisville, Ky.) battled out a win against Miami’s Katrina Lomidze and Linda Jirouskova 9-8. The win marks the duo’s 14th consecutive victory this season.
The number two doubles team of senior Alice Sukner (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and Lille Nzudie (Douala, Cameroon) topped Megan Zimpfer and Remy Swain 8-5, while MU’s number three squad of senior Meghan Skalsky (East Lansing, Mich.) and Danielle Hock (Wiggin, England) rounded out the doubles sweep with a 8-4 victory over Nancy Wiegand and Maura Trauernicht.
After securing the doubles point, the Thundering Herd needed to claim only half the singles matches to defeat the Redhawks; however, MU managed victory in all six matches, losing only one set along the way.
Johnson, Sukner, Kroh, Nzudie, and Hock all claimed straight set victories over their opponents. Junior Joelle Good (Zurich, Switzerland), in the only match that went three sets, defeated Swain in the number five singles position 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.
“Today is El’s birthday… and we were excited to get the win.” Head Coach John Mercer said.
On her birthday, Sukner went 2-0 with a win in the number two doubles and singles positions.
The Thundering Herd will return to action Monday, March 29th when they travel to Murfreesboro, Tenn. to take on Middle Tennessee State at 1:00 p.m.
No.57 Marshall 7, Miami 0
1. No. 16 Johnson/Kroh (MU) def. Lomidze/Jirouskova (MIAMI) 9-8
2. Sukner/Nzudie (MU) def. Zimpfer/Swain (MIAMI) 8-5
3. Skalsky/Hock (MU) def. Wiegand/Trauernicht (MIAMI) 8-4
1. Jessica Johnson (MU) def. Katrina Lomidze (MIAMI) 6-4,6-2
2. Alice Sukner (MU) def. Linda Jirouskova (MIAMI) 6-1,6-0
3. Ashley Kroh (MU) def. Megan Zimpfer (MIAMI) 6-3,6-3
4. Lille Nzudie (MU) def. Nancy Wiegand (MIAMI) 6-0,6-0
5. Joelle Good (MU) def. Remy Swain (MIAMI) 6-2,2-6,6-2
6. Danielle Hock (MU) def. Ilze Meyer (MIAMI) 6-4,7-5