Women's Tennis Advances to Semifinals of MAC Tournament
Ypsilanti, Mich.-After winning the Mid-American Conference regular season title, the Marshall University women?s tennis team took their first step towards the MAC Tournament championship by defeating eighth-seeded University of Toledo 4-0 in action today. The win moves the Thundering Herd into the semifinals where they will face Northern Illinois University on Saturday, April 26, at 10:00 a.m.
Marshall advanced by capturing the doubles point and winning the first three singles matches for the 4-0 victory.
The Thundering Herd claimed victories in the number two and three doubles position to get an early 1-0 lead. Ashley Kroh and Lille Nzudie defeated Daniella Moran and Eva Szuch 8-1 while Meghan Skalsky and Danielle Hock defeated Jen Meister and Eunice Paravicini 8-4.
Marshall cruised in the singles matches, losing only one game in the three victories. Kroh, playing in the number four position, defeated Szuch 6-0, 6-0 while Nzudie defeated Moran in the number five position by the same score. Joelle Good clinched the victory for the Thundering Herd by defeating Meister 6-0, 6-1.
Marshall moves to 17-7 on the year and now prepares for the Huskies in a semifinal match-up. Earlier in the season, Marshall defeated NIU 7-0.
#1 Marshall def. #8 Toledo, 4-0
1. Jessica Johnson/Alice Sunker (MU) vs. Monica Ribero/Viviana Rivero (UT) 3-5 DNF
2. Ashley Kroh/Lille Nzudie (MU) def. Daniella Moran/Eva Szuch (UT) 8-1
3. Meghan Skalsky/Danielle Hock (MU) def. Jen Meister/Eunice Paravicini (UT) 8-4
1. Jessica Johnson (MU) vs. Monica Ribero (UT) 6-0, 3-1 DNF
2. Alice Sukner (MU) vs. Viviana Rivero (UT) 6-2, 3-1 DNF
3. Danielle Hock vs. Eunice Paravicini (UT) 6-2, 0-1 DNF
4. Ashley Kroh (MU) def. Eva Szuch (UT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Lille Nzudie (MU) def. Daniella Moran (UT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Joelle Good (MU) def. Jen Meister (UT) 6-0, 6-1